- The law relating to defamation is complex. Generally a defamatory statement is one that contains an imputation by which the reputation of a person is likely to be injured, or by which other persons are likely to shun or avoid or ridicule or despise that person. In many situations the fact that the statement is true may not provide a defence. Announcers are to avoid any statements which might be considered defamatory.
- Commercial radio and TV stations have access to a team of Lawyers to vet potentially defamatory material before it is broadcast, in order to walk that fine line between acceptable comment and defamation. If you wish to Broadcast any controversial material where there is a risk of defamation, you should consult the Board prior to broadcast.
- Announcers should also realise that our insurance policy covers the Co operative against claims, not the individual announcer. A person defamed will usually take action against the station but they may add the announcer as a party to the proceedings. You could be held personally liable for damages, which in defamation cases are often substantial. In some cases the insurance company could claim a contribution or indemnity from the announcer responsible.
- In view of the foregoing, when in doubt, don't say it.
Time now is:
2:41pm, Monday, 25/October/2021
On Air Now
What's on today
- 12:00am Overnight Rock
- 6:00am Breakfast Radio
- 9:00am Easy Does It
- 12:00pm Listener's Choice
- 4:00pm Drive Time
- 7:00pm Early Evening
- 10:00pm Psychedelic Sounds
Join your local station and join us in serving and informing our local community! Download the Membership Application form, print it out and after completing it as fully as you can, send it to us at
11 Fitzgerald Street,
Windsor, NSW, 2756
Or alternatively drop it into the office at the above address.
We love meeting listeners - if you see our Outside Broadcast bus near you, come over and say g'day! Sadly because of the curreent social distancing, we can't get out and around as we'd like. We'll be back out and around the community again as soon as we can do so safely.
Why not call the studio and say g'day or make a request instead? Call (02) 45 899 899 or you can text a request on 0427 899 899
We don't currently have any Outside Broadcasts scheduled - why not have us broadcast from your function/promotion/event?
Find out more details at our community page >>>